Li-ion/Li-Polymer Battery Charger
The ISL78692 is an integrated single-cell Li-ion or Li-polymer
battery charger capable of operating with an input voltage
as low as 2.65V (cold crank case). This charger is designed to
work with various types of AC adapters or a USB port.
The ISL78692 operates as a linear charger when the AC
adapter is a voltage source. The battery is charged in a CC/CV
(constant current/constant voltage) profile. The charge current
is programmable with an external resistor up to 1A. The
ISL78692 can also work with a current-limited adapter to
minimize the thermal dissipation.
The ISL78692 features charge current thermal foldback to
guarantee safe operation when the printed circuit board’s
thermal dissipation is limited due to space constraints.
Additional features include preconditioning of an
over-discharged battery, an NTC thermistor interface for
charging the battery in a safe temperature range and
automatic recharge. The device is specified for operation in
ambient temperatures from -40°C to +85°C and is offered in
a 3x3mm thermally enhanced DFN package.
• Technical Brief TB363 “Guidelines for Handling and
Processing Moisture Sensitive Surface Mount Devices
• Technical Brief TB379 “Thermal Characterization of
Packaged Semiconductor Devices”
• UG001, “ISL78692EVAL1Z Evaluation Board User Guide”
• Complete charger for single-cell Lithium chemistry batteries
• Integrated power transistor and current sensor
• Reverse battery leakage 700nA
• 1% initial voltage accuracy
• Programmable CC current up to 1A
• Charge current thermal foldback
• NTC thermistor interface for battery temperature alert
• Accepts CV and CC types of adapters or USB bus power
• Preconditioning trickle charge
• Guaranteed to operate down to 2.65V after start-up
• Ambient temperature range: -40°C to +85°C
• AEC Q100 qualified
• Automotive systems
• eCall systems
• Backup battery systems
FIGURE 1. TYPICAL APPLICATION
FIGURE 2. TYPICAL CHARGE CURVES USING A CONSTANT
September 10, 2014
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Copyright Intersil Americas LLC 2014. All Rights Reserved
Intersil (and design) is a trademark owned by Intersil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.